Monday, January 16, 2006

"La vida es como el espuma, por eso hay que darse como el mar"

"Life is like the surf, so give yourself away like the sea". That is a quote from a movie I saw this weekend called "Y tu mamá (accent over the last a-that is important if you know Spanish b/c w/o the accent it means something nasty) también". I LOVED this movie. It's set in Mexico and has 2 leading young Mexican actors and a well known actress from Espana. I bought the DVD when I was home over Christmas and just watched it this weekend-I went nuts when I saw it in Soundgarden (the store my brother and cousin love to go to every Christmas). Foreign movies are so crazy-they dare to do things that American movies don't, and take so many liberties. That is why I love to watch them because they don't care how explicit they are. The audience doesn't care either, which is a huge difference between Americans and foreigners. I heard that some movie theatre was going to ban "Brokeback Mountain", and I think that is ridiculous. Let the people decide what they want to see! Foreigners can handle racy stuff like that much better than Americans can.

I also saw "Syriana" this weekend. I loved that too... but what is funny is that my friend who I saw it with turned to me after the movie and said "did you understand anything we just watched?". hahaha I guess he didn't really like it. It was pretty complicated with lots of plot lines, but I love movies like that and "Munich" that deal with politics (international politics especially), conspiracies, and how governments use civilians to carry out certain activities without thought of the repercussions. I won't say anymore about it if people still want to see it, but I loved it.

I also went to a wedding reception last night, and it was actually sad. The bride's father was taken away in an ambulance right before the father/daughter dance. The bride was in tears, and I really felt for her. : ( Not the best way to remember your wedding. On the way to the wedding, Marsha almost shut my finger and camera in her car window too (I was taking pics of the nice sunset on Tharpe St. which I might post). Could have been a bad thing right there!

No comments: