Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Deep thoughts

I have a lot to talk about today.

I wanted to start off with how sad and angry I am feeling about my brother's friend Bill Leaf who died tragically at the age of 25 . He was hit head on by a drunk driver on Jan. 8. Here is a release that Syracuse University put out (Bill went to SU, is from the Syracuse area, and was a sports reporter at the radio station my brother works at). Although I never met him, Mikey says that he was an incredible guy, huge fan of the NY Giants, and was a joy to talk to. It infuriates me that the guy who killed him was on a suspended license already, and was also busted for marijuana in 2004 at the US/Canadian border (this info was in newspaper articles my dad sent me). Bill had 2 sisters, and a mom and dad, along with a lot of other family and friends. One sister lives in DC and is a reporter there, and was told about his death over the phone by her sister. I don't even want to imagine receiving news like that-I don't know how I would cope. Every fiber in my being goes out to this family, and Bill's friends, including my brother, who went to his calling hours.

Our neighbor across the street from us back home in NY was also killed in a drunk driving accident a couple of years ago, but he was the one driving. He was 18 I believe. It could happen to anyone, whether they are the ones driving while drunk, are a passenger in a car of a drunk driver, or are the ones killed by a drunk driver. This is a terrifying thought.

(I pause here to remember these people we lost..........)


On another note, as I was watching "Boston Legal" last night, I was thinking, geez, there were about 5 or 6 commercials breaks before 1030. Every 5 min. or so, there would be a break. I was getting so mad! I called my dad and said Dad, are you getting frustrated at this? And he said yes and he was glad it wasn't just him that thought that. haha I told him I would have to blog about it. I just don't get why there is this need to interrupt a whole show like that. It's only on an hour a week, and the actors are probably getting paid a lot to ACT for an hour show which really only boils down to like 40 min. Here enters my argument that nobody is going to win if they try to argue against me: soap operas are incredibly difficult to write and keep up with compared to shows like BL. They are on EVERY BUSINESS DAY (give or take some holidays during the year and when they get interrupted by tennis or some other sport), and the writers have to come up with new material for every day for probably more than 30 characters on the show (at least for Y&R), and this has lasted for decades. They have to be creative, inspiring, and dramatic. I just think soaps are underestimated in the amount of work they require. Again, don't try to argue with me, b/c it won't work. : ) Soaps are great.

2 comments:

Erin said...

On the soap note - there's another GH actress jumping ship and heading to Y&R. She starts today or tomorrow. I liked her character on GH, probably because of the actress, so I wish her well on Y&R.

I was sorry to hear about Mikey's friend. I don't think I've seen or heard Bill's stuff, but I hope that maybe something good can come from this - like heightened awareness about the dangers of drunk driving. If the story inspires just one sports fan to think twice about drinking and driving, more lives will be saved.

Panner said...

Thanks Cass. : )