Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I'm tired

The Aussie Open is killing me. The matches are on ALL throughout the night, and I have woken up intermittently for the past few nights to watch the good matches. Like this morning. I watched stupid Kiefer beat one of my favorites Grosjean, and that match ended at around 1230 AM (after nearly 5 hours of play!). I was incredibly mad at this match because Kiefer was acting like a JERK and I yelled at the tv and was clapping when Grosjean made a winner. I hoped Grosjean would kick Kiefer's butt, but it didn't happen. Hopefully Federer will in the semis. Even the commentator Mary Carillo called Kiefer a mutt for what he did during the match. Talk about unsportsmanlike conduct..... I really do hope Federer beats him in straight sets. Here is an exerpt from an article on espn.com:

The temperamental German was warned for mouthing off to a line judge Monday and appeared headed down a similar road in the fourth set before taming his tongue against Grosjean, the 25th seed from France.
However, Kiefer angered Grosjean and the tennis-savvy fans with an act of immaturity deep in the fifth set. Leading 6-5, 30-40, his crosscourt backhand hit the top of the net and bounced over, giving Grosjean an easy shot.
Anticipating a hammer return, Kiefer threw his racquet across Grosjean's line of sight and over the net. Possibly distracted, Grosjean netted his return and Kiefer pleaded innocence.
"Everybody has to understand, there are so many emotions and so much tension," Kiefer said of the incident. "You fight for 4½ hours and it happens. All of a sudden, after he missed, the racquet went over [the net]. Of course, it's not nice, but what can I do? I'm a person with so much tension inside."
When the point was awarded to Kiefer, Grosjean called for the referee. However, it was ruled Grosjean already had hit his return and the point stood, drawing whistles from the crowd.
"I didn't know you aren't allowed to throw your racquet when you play, so I asked the referee," Grosjean said. "He said he has to go with the call of the umpire. And the umpire said I hit the ball. But it doesn't matter. ... If a ball dropped from my pocket, I mean, we replay the point, or even the hat. Anything happens on the court, we replay the point."
"I mean, we are good friends," Kiefer said of Grosjean. "There's so much tension, so much is happening on the court. It's so hot out there, your body is gone. These are things that are happening."
Grosjean kept his cool and his serve to win the game but did not win another. After Kiefer held for a 7-6 lead, Grosjean netted two wide-open serve-and-volley forehands to set up another deuce game.

(Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus06/news/story?id=2305113 ).

Of course Grosjean kept his cool-that is what a PROFESSIONAL tennis player does. He is a good guy! Brad Gilbert was even upset (Agassi's former coach) and said that the ref and chair ump should get red cards. I agree.

Anyways, besides that, there was Mauresmo and Schnyder, Clijsters and Hingis (which I woke up for at around 330/4 AM to see the final games of the match), then Federer and Davydenko which was on until a little after 7 AM this morning. I woke up at 6 for that. It's worth it, but I am still tired!

My predictions: Federer and Nalbandian in the finals (although Baghdatis will be a REAL test for Nalbandian) with F winning, and for the women, Justine and Kim in the finals (although both will have tough tests against Maria and Amelie respectively), with Justine winning (although I love Clijsters and hope she wins to take her 2nd Grand Slam title).

That's my analysis.

No comments: