Thursday, September 29, 2005

Nothing surprises me anymore

This past weekend I went to Orlando. On Greyhound. There are two things one can always guarantee seeing when you travel on Greyhound: Mexicans (which everyone knows I LOVE! : ) -so this is fine with me), and scary greasy people. When you board the bus, you also see little grease patches on the windows from when people sleep and lean their heads against the windows. I told Marsha about this, and she laughed so hard she almost went to the bathroom in her pants. You also see this on planes, but not as bad. The trip actually wasn't that bad this time... not like the previous time when there were newly released convicts sitting right next to me. (How did I know this? #1-their jail bracelets were still on and #2-I saw their release papers). The bus going to Orlando left at 530 AM so all I did was sleep and listen to my walkman from 10-1130. I was scared that the bus station would be scary at 430 AM when I had to get there, but surprisingly, it was packed. And I was relieved when I saw a security guard there too.

Fast forward to Saturday night after the wedding (see previous post where I mention the wedding). I went out in downtown Orlando with one of Mo's friends. She works for a radio station there, and so we got in free to some places, skipped the long lines, and got some nice drinks. I swear she knows EVERYONE in that city! : ) Well, at this one bar called Knock Knock, it was so crazy and I loved it (I had been there many times before too when I visited Mo over the past few years). It plays great music, and there is a guy who paints in the corner (he sold this one piece he was doing that night for over $1,000 I think). There is a swing that hangs from the ceiling, and the only way to get on the swing is to stand on the bar and kind of jump into it. This one girl was swinging and holding the chains with only one hand, and I thought she was going to fall (keep in mind that the swing is about 7 ft. off the ground). People were dancing on the bar too, and the bartender (who Mo's friend knew) was hitting a huge gong a lot. I wish I took pictures. Girls were doing body shots off each other too-one girl would lay on the bar and the other would lick alcohol off her belly. Then, one girl took off her shirt AND her bra so she was totally naked on the top, and her girlfriend started licking places on her chest..... yes, this was all happening out in the open. I just love how people are so uninhibited and different-it's a breath of fresh air and a reminder of my days roaming the Commons in liberal Ithaca (which is NOTHING like Tally, mind you). I just have to smile when these things happen-good for them for having fun! I am just not surprised by anything anymore. I think that is a excellent thing, because this world needs more tolerant people. My message for the day: appreciate differences, because it makes the world a fascinating place to live in.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Ummm Janice I see you left out some stuff! hahahahha