Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ups and downs



Despite the sadness in my life right now and what may have been one of the worst days of my life on Sunday(which I won't get into on here), my birthday is coming up and that is my favorite day of the year. My mom and my brother Mikey sent me this gorgeous bouquet of yellow and white roses... 28 of them for each year of my life. I LOVE yellow, and I LOVE yellow roses. I always have. Somehow, as always, my family (and friends too during the past 2 days) seems to find ways to brighten up my day.

To make myself even more happy, I changed the wallpaper on my computer screen from a picture of one of my all-time favorite shows "The Contender" (with Sergio Mora and Alfonso Gomez) to a scene I took a picture of at St. George Island last February when we took the ticos there. I absolutely love St. George. It is only an hour and 15 min drive southwest of Tally (depending on who is driving). The first time I went there, I had never seen houses that had stairs on their roofs that led to a pool or a sitting area, or houses that were built on stilts. "Florida's Forgotten Coast" is just that: as much as everyone (like me I'll admit) loves Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc., no one ever thinks of the Panhandle and how great its beaches are. When you drive to St. George, you will even be welcomed by a sign that says "Welcome to St. George Island: The Uncommon Florida". Last time I went to St. George this summer, some guy caught a 3 or 4 ft. long shark (I forget what kind), and had so much trouble getting it unhooked so that he could throw it back in the water without getting bitten. I would stay at the beach there all day for days on end..... I am always so happy there. I have vases full of shells too.

The picture you see here is of some seagulls flying around after some of the ticos had fed them some bread. I just loved how the sun was shining down making the shadows on the gulls. I happened to catch it at just the right moment before the sun disappeared.

One last note: I hope, with everything in me, that this new hurricane Rita is not like Katrina. (Sorry for my randomness today). I hope South FL is spared any significant damage, and anywhere else she may go... our Gulf Coast region cannot handle any more destruction and definitely doesn't deserve anymore of it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Nice post, Janice. I think the photo of the beach is a nice touch.

I know things suck right now, but it's good to know you have family and friends who will stick by you, now matter what. And oh, by the way, that includes me!!!!!

I love you, chica! Call me if you need anything.