Friday, September 09, 2005

Two nights of heaven, literally





I do not know how to describe this amazing group of boys that I have attended performances of for the past two nights. The Tallahassee Boys' Choir is full of energy, spirit, joy, and dedication to music, and to think that they produce such a mature vocal sound at their ages (they range in age from 8-about 23), is simply incredible. It is no wonder that they have been recognized by Oprah, and have performed at the Kennedy Center and around Italy. In a society where we often times forget that children CAN take responsibility for their actions and their future, this group proves that good things can be done early on in one's life. Mr. Earle Lee, the director, takes pride of the fact that these boys are disciplined and respectful, and he shows us that "black men are doing more than being on the news" (quoted from Wednesday's concert). Many of the younger boys look up to the older ones, who set the example of having self-worth, academic success, and social skills. It is just a wonderful group, and I absolutely love them!

Wednesday's concert was a "Back 2 School Explosion" held at the New African Methodist Episcopal Church (Mt. Zion) on Old Bainbridge Road. This was more of a church worship than a concert per se. Singers from the Tally Police Dept. were there too, and there was a service and collection. The sermon was captivating: the guest preacher referred to Exodus 14 and the parting of the Red Sea, and compared Moses caught between the Pharaoh's army and the sea to today's society where we are caught between capitalism's realities and wanting to make money and advance in this world. Being a history student myself, I have discovered that nothing changes throughout history. Back then, people were caught between a rock and a hard place and now they are too (that was the preacher's theme). With the tools God gave Moses, Moses took the problem in his own hands and solved it, and today our success is in our hands too. Now, I am not religious by any means, and I want people to know that you do not have to be religious to understand that the Bible is the most amazing piece of history ever written. From a historical perspective, it is a remarkable piece of literature. Moses wants to be still and not do anything about his problem, but God says don't be still! DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR SITUATION! We have the tools to succeed, but we need to be resourceful and use them. This idea has not changed for thousands of years. The Boys' Choir certainly takes their tools (their voices) and produces good things from them.

Last night was the hurricane benefit concert at Trinity Methodist Church on Park Ave. Marsha and I brought some nice non-perishable goods for the refugees. Take a look at http://marshalaurel.blogspot.com for her pictures-hers came out great! I am so glad she goes with me-it is so fun because she loves the group as much as I do. I'm sorry I don't have pics of her, but you can go to her blog b/c she took a lot. Last night was definitely a concert including a mixture of jazz pieces, upbeat African songs with drums, and America the Beautiful. I got shivers at some of the chords the group held-they were beautiful and echoed in the church.
We smiled at the fun the boys were having-they were dancing and singing their hearts out. It was more upbeat than at the AMEC, and understandably so since Wed. was an actual church service. Lawrence is my favorite member, and he had a few solos. He held this one high note that just rang through the church and gave me goosebumps. Marsha and I took a pic with him and the other soloist that you can see on her blog, but I have a pic of him here too.

All in all, the two performances were unbelievable. I hope people get to see them sometime in their lifetime. I plan on donating for their trip to the Astrodome to sing for the hurricane refugees. Oprah asked them to come, and she obviously knows a good thing when she sees it!

No comments: