Thursday, September 22, 2005

ENFJ

That is my personality type according to Myers Briggs. Erin, Marsha, and I were so into this the other day that we all decided to post about it. Marsha predicted my type with 100% accuracy! I guess my friends really do know me well. If you would like to take the test, here is the link.

My strength of preferences are as follows: 67% extroverted, 25% intuitive, 75% feeling, 67% judging. All of them are distinctively expressed except for the intuitive part which is moderate. According to personalitypage.com, "in general, ENFJs are charming, warm, gracious, creative and diverse individuals with richly developed insights into what makes other people tick. This special ability to see growth potential in others combined with a genuine drive to help people makes the ENFJ a truly valued individual. As giving and caring as the ENFJ is, they need to remember to value their own needs as well as the needs of others." ** This is totally true. ** "When faced with a conflict between a strongly-held value and serving another person's need, they are highly likely to value the other person's needs." **YES, and I guess this goes along with the fact that I am a Libra and love balance and harmony with no fighting. **

According to keirsey.com, "The Idealists called Teachers are abstract in their thought and speech, cooperative in their style of achieving goals, and directive and extraverted in their interpersonal relations. Learning in the young has to be beckoned forth, teased out from its hiding place, or, as suggested by the word "education," it has to be "educed." by an individual with educative capabilities. Such a one is the eNFj, thus rightly called the educative mentor or Teacher for short. The Teacher is especially capable of educing or calling forth those inner potentials each learner possesses. Even as children the Teachers may attract a gathering of other children ready to follow their lead in play or work. And they lead without seeming to do so.
Teachers expect the very best of those around them, and this expectation, usually expressed as enthusiastic encouragement, motivates action in others and the desire to live up to their expectations. Teachers have the charming characteristic of taking for granted that their expectations will be met, their implicit commands obeyed, never doubting that people will want to do what they suggest. And, more often than not, people do, because this type has extraordinary charisma. The Teachers are found in no more than 2 or 3 percent of the population." ** This might explain my desire for the Ph.D., the majors I have done, and my neverending quest to study people, peoplewatch, and figure out why people do the things they do (especially things you wouldn't expect. **

According to typelogic.com, "ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are. ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability. ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.
TRADEMARK: "The first shall be last"
This refers to the open-door policy of ENFJs. One ENFJ colleague always welcomes me into his office regardless of his own circumstances. If another person comes to the door, he allows them to interrupt our conversation with their need. While discussing that need, the phone rings and he stops to answer it. Others drop in with a 'quick question.' I finally get up, go to my office and use the call waiting feature on the telephone. When he hangs up, I have his undivided attention!" ** Again, no need to explain here-everything makes total sense. **

Famous ENFJs (again, typelogic.com) include Presidents Lincoln and Reagan, Sean Connery, Elizabeth Dole, Gene Hackman, Diane Sawyer, Johnny Depp (YEA!!), Oprah, Ben Stiller, Peyton Manning, Matthew McConaughey, and Pete Sampras (YEA!!). Apparently I also make a good advisor (gee, I must be in the right field), neighbor, and tribesman (among others).

** My two cents: I value my friends and family more than anything in this world, and I would drop everything in a second if someone were in need or wanted to talk or share great news. Often times I would rather see other people happy than me, because then that makes me happy. I am always content knowing that people are successful in life, and have no regrets. Maybe that is why it seems that everyone comes to me for advice or want me to be their sounding board. My ENFJ personality might explain my obsession with Dr. Phil lately too. I think I should be a marriage or family therapist for my next career. Or a wedding planner.

No comments: