Sunday, September 11, 2005

Katrina

Yesterday morning I went to Curves (like I usually do on Saturday mornings), and there were two women there who fled to Tally from New Orleans after the hurricane. One woman said that she found out that her ex-husband had walked (YES, WALKED) from New Orleans to Baton Rouge (which she said was 85 miles-I thought it was further) to escape. He had fought in Vietnam, and he said that this was worse because he had to look out for his family too and not just himself like in the war. Also, luckily, her house was not flooded, but just had structural damage. Just had to share that story.

I hope everyone has donated to this horrendous disaster. Even if you give $5 it helps. I don't think that is asking a lot. I was in MIAMI (one of my favorite world cities) visiting Novi when Katrina hit (in Kendall actually), and though it was not nearly as bad as in New Orleans and Mississippi, it did cause some bad damage which is still not cleaned up yet. The entrance to the neighborhood was flooded, trees were uprooted and tore up sidewalks and fell on roofs, debris was everywhere in the streets, and palm trees were snapped in half. I have pictures up on Snapfish, but unfortunately I forgot to save them before I deleted them and cannot upload them on here. : ( That stinks because I wanted everyone to see. Oh well... if you want to see the pics let me know. I just cannot believe that some of these trees survived Hurricane Andrew back in 1992, but not Katrina, which was supposedly a weaker storm. Amazing what gets destroyed and what doesn't. We actually drove through the eyewall of the hurricane with 70-80 MPH winds all around us coming back from Outback Steakhouse (where incidentally the power went out), and that was definitely an adventure. I had never been through anything like that before in my life. I had never seen palm trees whip around so much other than on tv. I guess I have many more hurricanes to come living here in FL so I better get used to it.

No comments: