Monday, February 27, 2006

JOAQUIN

I saw "Walk the Line" this weekend with a coworker. If you thought "Brokeback" was amazing, this was even better. There are absolutely no words to describe the performance Joaquin gave-he was simply outstanding, and I would say a winner for best actor at the Oscars this Sunday. Being a musician and singer myself, I cannot believe he learned to sing the way he did in 6 MONTHS. 6 MONTHS! To learn how to sing like one of the most popular musicians in history. Incredible. Same with Reese. They made a great duo in the movie, had great chemistry, and worked together so well. Guess who is buying the DVD tomorrow when it comes out..... (photo here courtesy of this site).

Here is some trivia about the movie that I took from IMDB:

-Joaquin Phoenix performed all of the songs himself without being dubbed and learned to play guitar from scratch.
-June Carter Cash died before production began on the film, so Reese Witherspoon's research included looking through Carter's closet for inspiration.
-Johnny Cash chose Joaquin Phoenix to play him in the film. June Carter Cash reportedly chose Reese Witherspoon for her role in the film also.
-Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix had vocal training for six months with music producer T-Bone Burnett.
-Sony, Universal, Focus Features, Paramount, and Warner Bros. all passed on the project. (Sucks to be them).
-Reese Witherspoon did her own singing. She also had to learn to play the auto-harp.
-It took four years for the producers to secure the rights to the story from James Keach who is a friend of Johnny Cash and his family. After Keach agreed, it took another four years to get the film made.
-Columbia Pictures passed on the project. (Oh well!)
-The scene where Johnny Cash pulls the sink off the wall was not scripted. Joaquin Phoenix actually pulled it off the wall.
-At 5' 8" tall, Joaquin Phoenix is six inches shorter than the 6'2" Johnny Cash.

Speaking of Joaquin, he is my new second favorite actor. He's a dream. Not only is he gorgeous, but an amazing talent second only to my favorite actor, Denzel. Why do you think I like "Gladiator" so much (and "Hotel Rwanda" and "Ladder 49")? There were some scenes in "WTL" where I just wanted to pause them and look at Joaquin. haha I think it's his pronounced jaw-line and rigid facial features that make him so hot. (Top photo courtesy of this site , bottom courtesy of this site).

A discussion of "WTL" has to include Reese too, b/c she really made the movie. June Carter Cash (and her parents!) seems like an incredible person to hold Johnny together through everything (I don't want to ruin it in case people haven't seen it). She was so dynamic and outgoing and thoughtful and level-headed. Wonderful woman. It's a shame she didn't live to see the movie. : ( Reese looked beautiful too with brown hair. Pic here courtesy of this site.

Overall, I hope the movie kicks a*s on Sunday.

As a side note, the movie theatre worker thanked me for throwing away my nacho container (and not leaving it on the floor). He seemed grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Joaquin. This is a great post! I can't belive he is so short!
Wow he learned to play in 6months! here is hope for me and the pan flute then?! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Joaquin...*sigh*. Too bad we weren't thanked for wiping our own table at lunch. I guess we didn't wear the right dress.

Jessie said...

I loved this movie. We saw it last weekend. Phil slept, but I was totally wrapped up into it. It comes out on DVD tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hey Panner - I wanna go see this one now... Thanks