Friday, February 10, 2006

Switching around my top 10 country list

So, yes, the ticos are in town. I always love that b/c I get to see old friends, use my Spanish and translate for them, and see their expressions when they see things for the first time. That is my favorite part about hosting and also bringing students down with me to Costa Rica: it is so fascinating to see how people react when stepping out of their normal daily routine in their own country. Picture someone who has never left Florida going into big San Jose, Costa Rica. And then someone from little Turrialba, Cartago, Costa Rica arriving in big Orlando. I love it.

Anyways, on Monday I went down to O-town with 2 other people to pick the ticos up at the airport (they never fly into Tally b/c it's too expensive). Their flight came in at 1130 PM, we didn't find them in the airport until 1220 AM, we loaded up the rental vans, went to the hotel after driving around a bit, checked in, and went to sleep. By that time it was just about 3 AM (I roomed with one of the staff members and we chatted a bit about her cute little kids). Then we got up at 7 to go to EPCOT!

Now, I am not a big fan of Disney b/c of many reasons (if you care, I can elaborate by email), but I do love Epcot for obvious reasons. I couldn't wait to go to Mexico and Italy. But, probably to everyone's surprise, the country I loved the most there was.......... MOROCCO. That is my new favorite place. I want to go there so bad. I did before, but after going to Epcot, I want to even more. I want to see Fez, Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakech, and everything. When I live in Espana it will be so easy to hop right over.

When we got to Morocco, there was a sign saying that some Arabic music performers would perform throughout the afternoon. I HAD to go. So I went with my friend Juanka for their 310 PM performance. I dragged him there, but he ended up LOVING the music, and got a pic with the belly dancer named Ilham. haha The group is called Mo'Rockin and I am obsessed with them now. haha I got their CD. According to their website, they were founded in 1998 by Ali Ajraoui (Amir Ali) and started playing at Epcot in 1999. "Mo'Rockin blends the music and rhythms of the Maghreb, Middle East, Africa, ESPANA, and America to create unique high-energy sound. " And is it EVER a great sound!! The performers are soooo lively and passionate. They obviously love what they are doing. I couldn't help but smile through the entire performance and pretend I was in Morocco.

The lead singer was the best. Amir Ali. He was born in Meknes, Morocco, and even studied music there (classical violin, Arabic music theory, and more) according to the website. He is an incredible player, and I can see how Moroccans in Orlando feel so close to home when they hear his music. Amir Ali has also toured all around the world. Check out his bio. He and the belly dancer, Ilham, were SO nice too. Ilham has performed for Vanessa Williams, Steven Segal, the Wayne Brady Show, and was seen on Telemundo. Here is her bio.

Overall, I left the park feeling amazing. I went home and listened to the CD right away. Maybe I will convince FSU to have them play here. haha I didn't want to leave the Moroccan pavilion!! The men were GORGEOUS (one in particular), the women beautiful, the architecture takes your breath away, and the souvenirs in the stores were awesome (I bought a yellow tea cup hand made in Morocco). Take me to Africa!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Epcot and MGM were always my favorite parks at the Disney Empire. The last time I was at Epcot, I could not get enough of Norway. I think it was the ride, really (I was 16, go figure). Hmmmm, maybe I should plan a day of Epcot when I come down to Florida in November.

Anonymous said...

Love Epcot! Went to the Food and wine festival spent all day doing as much as I could...wanted to visit the Mediterranian world/restaurant but did German instead because of the wine samplings I wanted to write about. UGH I want to go back!
Janice I am so happy for you!