Saturday, October 15, 2005

Peruvian Landslide

My mom is in Peru right now with one of her best friends Gail and her husband Archie. (Which I am a little jealous about since I have never been there, but she is getting me tons of souvenirs that I requested, so that is great). Well, I was supposed to call her this past Thursday at 11 my time (10 theirs). I didn't end up talking to her until 1245 AM my time (after calling 3 times and bugging the hotel receptionist guy and asking him questions in Spanish) because the train that was coming back from Machu Picchu was late. There was a landslide, and apparently the rocks and things blocked the road that the train takes. They all got back safe and sound though. She told me later that local people were banging on the train doors and trying to get on to get back to their villages (for those who don't know, MP is a very remote place and hard to get to-it's amazing that people even settled up there 14,000 feet high I think). The story was even on CNN. I LOVE having stories when traveling!! It's like the one time my knee got caught in the metro train in Madrid and the train started moving and I thought I was going to die and get smooshed between the train and the wall.... or when our boat ran out of gas in the middle of a canal coming back from Tortuguero, Costa Rica. There's just something that happens in me when something bad happens abroad-I don't worry and I feel like it is this one big adventure. Or a movie scene. I hope my mom got some pictures. Erin suggested that she contact the Post-Standard in Syracuse to tell her story. That would be neat to have her story published.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Love this post Janice. We are in the inner circle! hahahah