Friday, March 03, 2006

And the Oscar goes to.............


............. who knows. This year's awards are hard to predict. This is the first year I have actually seen most of the nominated movies. I saw "Capote" last night, and it was amazing too. I have to admit I didn't really know (or care) about who Philip Seymour Hoffman was and what he has done, but his performance in that was outstanding. He is definitely a contender!! (It was also funny last night b/c Shan and I went into the theater and the movie started and she says um, this isn't "Capote"... the movie worker lady had told us the wrong theatre, but at least we didn't miss any of the movie). : /

The Oscars are cool for me too b/c I have been to LA and went inside the Kodak theatre and everything. I am not big into following celebs, but it is a pretty cool night. Here is the list, who I think will win, and who I want to win (just in the categories of Best Actor and Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, and Best Picture). **NOTE: Of the ones listed, I have seen "Munich", "Walk the Line", "Brokeback", "Capote", "Syriana", and "Cinderella Man" and plan on watching "Crash" before Sunday on the DVD that Shan gave me. (Pic above courtesy of this site).

BEST PICTURE
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck"
"Munich"

-I think "Capote" will win, but I want "Brokeback". BUT again, I haven't seen 2 of these movies, so my guess may be worthless.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"
David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck"

-I think Joaquin will win, and I want Joaquin to win. : ) He just stretched himself so much to play Johnny. Hoffman was incredible too-close call, but GO JOAQUIN.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Charlize Theron, "North Country"
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

-NO idea who will win, but I would want Reese. Or Charlize b/c I know she is good.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
George Clooney, "Syriana"
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"
Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"
William Hurt, "A History of Violence"

-Hum.... this one is a tight race. I would say George or Paul will win, but I hope George or Jake does. Matt Dillon too maybe b/c Shan said he was great in "Crash". Guess I'll find out when I watch it.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams, "Junebug"
Catherine Keener, "Capote"
Frances McDormand, "North Country"
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain"

-Well, I think Frances will get it, but I hope Catherine does. She was just awesome in "Capote" as Harper Lee. I like Michelle Williams, but I don't think her performance rivals Catherine's.

Just for some history, AFI ranked their top 100 greatest American movies. Among them are "Schindler's List" (1993) (#9), "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" (1975) (#20), and "E.T." (1982) (#25). Here is the complete list if you are interested.

Can't wait to see what everyone is wearing too. That's always fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actor: Terrence Howard
Actress: Judi Dench
Picture: Crash
Suporting Actor: William Hurt
Supporting actress:Rachel Weisz

That is who i think should win

Panner said...

But who do you WANT to win?

Anonymous said...

ALl the people and movies I put is who SHOULD and who I WANT to win ahahahah
Love Judi Dench, Terrence, William and Crash...Rachel should win too
sorry Felicity...I like you but Blech

Jessie said...

We saw Transamerica last night and I think Felicity should win. I loved Reese in Walk The Line, but Felicity really had to stretch for her role. I love Walk the Line, but Crash is better.

Marsha said...

SO I got Two out of Five for Crash and Rachel Weisz