Tuesday, March 21, 2006

20somethings

Well, I stayed up to watch Denzel on Letterman (since his new movie "Inside Man" is coming out on Friday, he's on every show right now), and he looked SOOOO classy. He always dresses in a suit for Letterman. Wish more people would do that and quit wearing jeans if they are a guest on that show. Anyways...

So I wasn't tired, and what did I decide to do? Post on my blog of course. What I wanted to talk about was the plight of my 20something friends. All the books out there about how 20somethings are in this state of flux all the time are so worthy, and I might even read one. Most of my friends are in their upper 20s now (with one more year to go before the big YUCKY 3-0 that I do not want to talk about), and they are making these life changing decisions. I think the older generations (grandparents and parents) sometimes cannot understand our generation b/c we quit things so fast and so easily (so they think) and want to move on to the next thing as soon as possible (again, so they think). We really do weigh things, I swear!

Without mentioning names, I have had friends in the last year, I'd say (and even as recently as a couple days ago), tell me about their plans to quit their jobs and make a total different career move, or quit their jobs and go to grad school (masters or Ph.D.), or get divorced after about 6 yrs of marriage b/c of various reasons, or quit their Ph.D. and just live the life they want without any school pressure, or keep their jobs AND go to grad school AND have a family (any combo of those), or give up everything and go travel (my dream), or go back to their original career and the area they were schooled in after taking a break and doing these other things (like moving), or experience something new they never thought they would. And the list goes on.

I am definitely included in this list too-I have worked for 5 1/2 yrs at the same job and been in school for what seems like forever and a day, and though I love every minute of it, I just am looking forward to the day when I can walk across that stage, be a Dr., and move to Espana. haha But really, all of these friends are like that: after doing something for a while, they are tired of it and make changes. Many baby boomers cannot understand that, for many have worked at the same job for 30+ years and have been married for more than that. I think that is incredible in this day and age to do something for that long, while at the same time, I also think it's incredible for my peers to have the confidence to try these new things and leave their comfort zone. I am not saying one or the other is right, but just that our generation seems restless and sooooo ready to get out there and do everything that is available to us. Maybe globalization has helped that along. Or maybe it's the fact that the dreaded 3-0 is looming, and we all want to do what we wanted before 3-0. I am sure other generations experienced the 3-0 thing too, but somehow us Generation-Y (is that the term?) people are different.

If you go on Amazon.com and type in "20something", all these books pop up about how to cope in this world if you are a 20something, and there are books for parents about parenting their 20somethings. Most of the books share stories and make 20somethings feel better about their place in this world, and how other people their age might be anxious, worried, depressed, ambitious, scared, broke, rich, regretful, confused, satisfied, and a ton of other feelings.

I don't know what my point was in writing this, but I am just sensing a trend lately and it's the trend the whole world is experiencing. Wow this was a long post! Comments welcome as usual.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People dont realize..."WE'VE GOT TIME"

Erin said...

The "experts" differ on which generation we belong to because we are right on the line between Gen X and Y. I think it's mostly a personal decision. But I am so owning the Gen X title. The Y-ers are way too whiny and self-centered for me.

Anonymous said...

30 is NOTHING! Please! 30 came and went almost 2 years ago for me and it didn't even phase me. I think people put too much pressure on age. It's all really how you look at things. I have a bunch of friends in their 30s doing the things that your friends in their 20s are doing - older people still don't understand it any better. Oh, well. I say, "Stand tall, do what you want and if others tell you that you can't...well, #&$* 'em!" The great thing is that we don’t want to settle for things that aren’t exactly what we want and I think that’s great! Onward and forward! Great post,btw!

Anonymous said...

"Interior Monologue" rocks!