Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The best city in the world, now














Now I see why Barcelona was picked to host the 1992 Olympics. When I was conducting my self-guided tour of this magnificent city last week, I was picturing all of these people from around the world competing in these games, and how they must have enjoyed the mountains, the beaches, the modern (and old) architecture, the nightlife, the people, the food (chorizo, sangria, tortillas, and more), the weather, the water, the music, the art, the Catalan language, and more. The reason I say it's the best city in the world, NOW, is that the best city in the world to me before was Madrid. I still love Madrid, and the best 4 months of my life were spent there 8 years ago, but Barcelona is on the water and has beaches. : ) AND it's still in Espana, the best country on Earth. And it has a very unique language all its own. It's like my Miami of Europe. So, Bcn has taken preference. IF you can believe that. I just cannot describe what it was like to just go off by myself and not have a care in the world. I had been there before when I was studying in Madrid, but that was only for 2 days, and I didn't remember a thing about the city. Now, I can't stop thinking about it.

And how could I not??? Here are some pics to prove my point. #1: Santa Maria del Pi church. 1300s (Gothic). My favorite church in the world now (so far). #2: Port Vell, as seen from the statue of Christopher Columbus. #3: Park Guell, designed by Gaudi. The whole city is Gaudi! #4: Palau Nacional de Montjuic (y Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya). #5: Estadi Olimpic. #6: La Sagrada Famillia seen from Palau Nacional. #7: Passeig de Colon. I LOVE this pic! (the palms!) #8: Port Olimpic and beaches. #9: Inside La Sagrada Familia. Gaudi wanted to represent nature in his art, and believed that copying nature was the art of the future. Inside is supposed to be like trees.... protecting people from sun and rain. A holy place. #10: La S.F. at dusk........ it was worth the 8 Euro to go up it! I love the night pictures.

On my next post I will put some more up hopefully. Deu (adios in Catalan). : )

1 comment:

Marsha said...

The pics are great Janice. I love this post!