Saturday, October 27, 2007

Last One Standing

My new favorite show is LOS (wow, what a coincidence that the initials are LOS bc that's my favorite restaurant in Tally hahaha). Anyways, LOS is on Discovery at 8 every Thursday, and repeats at midnight that next day and then again Saturdays at 10 AM. This show is amazing from many standpoints, and I also have TONS of questions about the logistics too. Of course I would because I travel and also take students overseas too. For anyone that doesn't watch it, it's about 6 "Westerners" (3 Americans Jason-a BMX racer, Corey-outdoor guy, and Brad-strongman; 1 Aussie Mark-kickboxer; and 2 Brits Rajko-fitness guru and Richard-rugby player) who travel the world to compete in indigenous tribe fighting (stick fighting, wrestling, kick fighting, running, etc.). Mark is my favorite. hahaha

First, I wonder who the consultants are. Anthropologists, I assume. Who picked what tribes? How did they pick them? Did the people here consult with the tribes first? What is in it for the tribes? (Well, I am sure that teaching "Westerners" their culture and having them respect it is almost enough from their point of view). What kind of insurance do the travelers have? Who got their visas?

I really do admire these 6 guys bc traveling the world like this, competing, and putting themselves in different environment after different environment-it is really really tough yet so exhilirating! I wonder how much time they have between trips too. During the opening credits, the announcer says "will their 'Western' skills be enough to challenge the locals" (something along those lines). Well, what we have seen so far is that these locals are amazingly fit, skilled, content where they live, and SO PROUD OF THEIR TRIBE. The 6 guys keep up but it's tough!!

Anyone else watch? I love it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi jani! art watches it. he really likes it too! i have yet to watch it with him.

-elena